At Little Bowden, helping our children become confident and independent learners who are able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, is central to our literacy and reading strategies.
Our aim in teaching English is for our children:
- to become enthusiastic readers and writers
- to use their English skills across every area of the curriculum
- to develop the habit of reading widely and often, for pleasure and information
- to acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- to write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- to become confident speakers and listeners. At Little Bowden your voice is heard!
Our Systematic Synthetic Phonics (SSP) Programme is Read Write Inc. We are working closely with the English Hub team and the RWI consultant to effectively embed the programme across the school.