At Little Bowden we strive for our children to be successful and proficient mathematicians. Our intent is to ensure that every child, regardless of background, has a rich and meaningful mathematics education.
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life and critical to science, technology and engineering. Crucially, a sound knowledge of mathematics is vital for young people seeking employment. A high quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
We want our children to love Maths! We foster a growth mind-set culture and instil the mind-set in every child and staff member that everyone can do maths!
* We believe that if you can’t do it, you can’t do it yet!
* Mistakes are valuable and help us learn.
* Questions are really important and asking questions deepens our understanding.
* Mathematics is about making connections and communicating what we think.
* Mathematics is about being creative and problem solving.
* Mathematics is about being fluent and flexible.
* Deep understanding of maths is much more important than speed.
We follow a Teaching for Mastery approach, believing that mastering a mathematical concept is achievable for all children, teaching for secure and deep understanding of mathematical concepts through manageable steps, making connections and developing reasoning alongside procedural and conceptual fluency.
For further information about Mathematics at Little Bowden - select the 'Key Information' tab at the top, then click on 'curriculum'', then 'curriculum plans', select 'Maths' and finally click on 'Intent and Implementation of Maths in EYFS.'